Saturday, September 27, 2008

To buy/register or to not buy/register

OK, so EVERYONE on here has WAY more experience with babies than I do. I have already stock piled some lotions and wipes and wash from CVS. I bought the kinds without the scents and the sensitive wipes because I have somewhat sensitive skin and I am NOT a fan of lavander.... it gives me a headache, even pre-preggo. So I am open to suggestions on what I actually need and will use as opposed to what people say I need. We don't have a ton of space for baby crap, you know like 7 bouncy things and 5 swingie things. I also don't plan on getting a changing table. The baby's room isn't real big and will still have the computer and a dresser in it and maybe a bookshelf. I think I will get one of those changing pad things that I can just put anywhere. I have been informed that I will use a powder with a boy. While I know it is still a baby there are some differences between boys and girls.

Thurs. night I couldn't stand it and we went to Walmart and bought a boy outfit, it is the first thing we have bought knowing it is a boy. While I know we will get tons of stuff I wanted to pick something. I will post a pic later, but it is a baby blue outfit with a choo choo on it.

Where to register. I know Many of you live closer to the "city" so I want your opinion. There are 2 other people at school who are having babies... well, their wives are, they are having girls. The place to register seems to be Walmart, Target and Babies R Us. I personally feel like babies R Us is WAY out of the way for people to go to get a gift. When I worked on Lakeshore it was no big deal, but, it would be a 30 or so minute drive for us now. I want to say thanks for the gift, not feel like people had to drive to timbuckto to get me something. Not to mention their prices sometimes..... now when they have a sale it is awesome but man they are expensive. So I think we may stick to Target and Walmart. What do you think?

The mural..... I am thinking a football field on one wall and baseball on the other.... and maybe a neutral color on the corners and the short wall, it should take a long time for him to out grow that.

Today we are headed over to my great aunt Kay's house. My uncle Billy passed away many years ago but was one of my favorite uncles. He was a Fire Chief and the funeral was amazing, there were over 50 fire trucks there from his station and many others driven by many men who said if it were not for him that they wouldn't be alive. Anyway, he had lots of hobbies and refinishing wood was one of them. My aunt is getting remarried and is getting rid of some stuff and wants to give Eric and I a rocking chair that he refinished before he died.

A friend of ours at church has recently had quads, 1 girl and 3 boys. They are definately done having babies. They have an older daughter, who is 4 or 5. THey had to use fertility both times, God answers prayers. She has offered the boy clothes to be passed down, while they will be a tad out of season, I am Feb she was July I think, they will still be useful. While I definately don't have to outfit 3 boys it will be a blessing. It also means that baby boy will have plenty of playmates!!!!

6 comments:

Nicole said...

I could go on and on here. I personally LOVE Babies R Us BUT if you can find BIG things (swing, troller, carseats, etc) that you like at Target or wherever than you should go with it. There is soooo much stuff to choose from at Babies R Us and its changes often. I know I registered really early with Darcy but at the end I was ready to go and reregister for things b/c of the new patterns. I'd definitely say WAIT to register for that very reason.

Things you should def register for...

Bumbo
Stroller
Playpen w/ changing table built in
Swing
Saucer
Booster Seat (i prefer this over highchair but its according to how much room)
bathtub
monitor
Changing pad (I have one ontop of the boys dresser)
Umbrella Stroller
Sling
Bouncey seat
Bottles (if going that route but you'll need a few even if you breastfeed)

I could probably go on and on but i'm sure you got the picture.

Jeni said...

A note on the changing pad - I saw one at Target (& they had it at Babies R Us for the same price) the folds in half, so it's good for not a lot of room and it was the same price as the regular ones they had (about $20). On the registering...we've looked at Target & Babies R Us, and may do both since they have some different things. My qualm with Wal-mart is that NONE of them have the same things (we've looked at Calera, Alabaster, Pelham, and 150), and when they run out of something they never ever get it back in. But then again, Wal-mart & I have issues anyway...

Jen said...

Nicole,
What is an umbrella stroller?
What kind of bathtub? The one you fill up or the seat thing you put in the sink or tub? I think I am going to pump, if it works. So I know I will need bottles. BUt oh my gosh what kind?!?!?!?

Jeni,
I have the same problem with walmart. The crib I want is at the Calera Walmart for 209 but I have yet to be able to find it in the Alabaster Walmart. But, the Alabaster Walmart has more to choose from than Calera.

I like some of the stuff at Babies R Us too but most of the people I work with live south of Calera.... I like the zoo print pack'n'play (with the changing thing)that walmart has and the matching stroller and car seat set. Eric likes the Winnie the Pooh ones bu they get pricy. My friend with the quads thinks she may have a stroller/ seat set somewhere because the hospital gave them a ton of stuff and is supposed to look and get back to me.... Jamie said to get the booster too.....

I may go back to babies R Us to see if there is anything I think I just can't live without. I don't think I am going to regiser till Dec or so because of the season change I will def. need winter stuff.
Thanks, I definately need the help!!!!!!!

Valerie said...

Ok, I am going to second the umbrella stroller. Both, Lindsay Buff and I have a Combi umbrella stroller. Yes, they are more expensive than the 12.00 ones, but that is basically what I have used since the children were LITTLE! The stoller is 8lbs, easy to carry, easy to fold, comfortable, and all around AWESOME! Those baby stroller/car seat travel systems are not used very long, bulky, and are way expensive. I sold mine before I had Ariana and never missed it. Car seat...get the one that goes to one year called "Safe Seat." They are also about 30$ more money, but the other infant car seats will only last you til about 3 months. Ariana fit in hers til 12months easy. Why pay 99$ for a seat to last you 3 months? Pay extra and get longer use out of it!
Not every baby is the same, but both of mine lived in the baby swing. I don't know what I would have done without it on those sleepless nights. Oh, and Bumbo seats are awesome if you travel and need somewhere to put the kid for meal time.

Mom said...

You will want to get a wipes warmer!!

And I love my HotSling!

Nicole said...

One really important thing to think about....

Target only excepts like 1 or 2 returns A YEAR - regardless! Check their policy first!!! My SIL registered there for her wedding but wasn't able to return things b/c of their jacked up policy!!

Walmart has tighten up with their policy too.

Babies R Us has always been good to me about returns. They can shop online if they live to far away... and some grocery stores carry Babies R Us Gift cards!