Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Owner of a broken heart.....

I know that's not how the song goes. Today something happened that absolutley broke my heart. Every year at school we have a Medieval Festival in December. All 9-12 graders are required to participate in something. Each class has specific responsibilities. Everyone dresses in their medieval garb and attends a banquet, where you can only eat with a knife..... they didn't have forks or spoons. There is alot involved, medieval games are played, dances are danced, singing and a short play is performed.... it is alot of work but alot of fun too. All of the students have to make their coat of arms that stands for their family. For instance, mine would have a volleyball and a cross on it. They also have to tell why they chose what they chose to draw on their shields. It shoud directly reflect the student's interests. Well, my 9th grade class is studying medieval times so I decided to go ahead and let them make their coat of arms. One of my students broke his arm (the one he writes with) earlier this year. He asked me to outline something he had stenciled on his shield. I said sure, when he handed it to me bing in the center was a heart with the broken crack down the center. I asked him why the broken heart and here was his reply. Well, Mrs. Snyder you know my parents are divorced but it has gotten real bad. I am supposed to live with my mom but there are 4 other females who live in the house with her and I am the only boy so I don't go home much. Mom won't let me see or have anything to do much with my dad and she will not let me ever see anyone on my dad's side of the family cause she hates them so much. All they ever do is fight over everything, its miserable......... this is from a 15 year old boy...... As he went on to tell me more info his eyes teared up. IT BROKE MY HEART!!!!!!!!!!!! He has become a christian in the past year and told me that he relied on God for the strength to get through...... my problems seem so small. His older sister is a Senior at a local public school. She is having a little girl in the next month or two which is another source of fighting that he has to listen to between his parents.

No comments: